4.27.2016

Healing Cracked Nipples

Synopsis: You don't have to endure a cracked nipple when you are breastfeeding!

Unrelated to my PCOS, I dealt with a cracked nipple for a time when I was beginning to nurse my baby. It was so painful when the baby would latch on that side that I avoided nursing on that side. Ultimately it was the reason I went to a lactation consultant.

What finally helped was:
Taking a few days off of nursing on that side, and instead solely pumping
Rinsing the nipple with salt water a few times a day
Applying breast milk to the nipple
Newman's Ointment
Lanolin
As long as the baby was still nursing on the damaged side, the nipple would not heal. Pumping allowed me to relieve engorgement and maintain my milk supply. It also helped me avoid further damaging my wound. Once it healed, we were able to recommence breastfeeding on both sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment