4.27.2016

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)

Synopsis: An IUI can be a viable treatment for infertility if you have PCOS!

After two years of trying to get pregnant, we made an appointment with a fertility clinic. The doctor confirmed my diagnosis of PCOS after looking through my medical records (especially blood test results) and recommended we try an Intrauterine Insemination (IUI).

I took Letrozole (Femara) for 5 days at the beginning of my menstrual cycle. This drug is used off-label in treating infertility; it is a breast cancer drug but can stimulate the ovaries just like Clomiphene (Clomid).

I went in for a baseline ultrasound early in my cycle. The following week I had a second ultrasound to confirm that my follicles looked good. I gave myself a shot of HCG (to stimulate ovulation), and then, two days later, went in for the actual IUI procedure. I was sent home with instructions to follow-up with intercourse that day, and to begin progesterone suppositories (progesterone is a hormone that supports pregnancy) the following day.

The procedure itself is much like a gynecological exam. You lie on the exam table, with your feet in stirrups, and the medical professional inserts a specula. The washed & prepared sperm are in a syringe attached to a catheter that is threaded through the cervix. Once inserted, the sperm are injected into the uterus. At the time of this writing, I have experienced 4 IUIs, and there can be some painful cramping! Fortunately, the process is fairly quick & straightforward. Following the IUI, the patient's pelvis is elevated slightly and the patient rests for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment